Gideon Dror joined Yahoo! Research in June 2010 as the a visiting scientist. Prior to joining Yahoo! Research, Gideon was an academic affiliated to the Academic College of Tel Aviv Yaffo, doing research on machine learning, theory and applications in various fields such as bioinformatics, natural language processing and computer vision. Gideon received his B.Sc. (Cum Laude) and Ph.D. from the Tel Aviv University, Israel, in 1985 and 1991 respectively. From 1991 to 1993 he held a research position at the Nuclear Physics Department.
Gideon has authored numerous papers on machine learning in leading conferences and journals. He also serves on the program committees of leading Information Retrieval and Search conferences such as WWW, SIGIR and WSDM. Since 2003 Gideon was involved in the organizing several machine learning competitions.
A more detailed description of his academic background and achievements may be found on his academic homepage http://www2.mta.ac.il/~gideon/
In Yahoo! Gideon has been working on several projects in Yahoo! answers: Question recommendation, automatic question answering, predicting the satisfaction of web-searchers given a query and a list of Y! answers excerpts, translating queries to natural langiage questions, predicting churning of answerers, assessing question answerability, all targeted towards improvement of the the operation of the Yahoo! answers service. In addition Gideon was involved in recommender system for Yahoo! music.
Recent Publications, Projects and News
- When Web Search Fails, Searchers Become Askers: Understanding the Transition Qiaoling Liu;Eugene Agichtein; Gideon Dror;Yoelle Maarek; Idan Szpektor, SIGIR'2012, ACM, 2012
- Large-Scale Learning of Word Relatedness with Constraints Guy Halawi; Gideon Dror; Evgeniy Gabrilovich;Yehuda Koren, KDD, 2012 [view abstract]
- When Web Search Fails, Searchers Become Askers: Understanding the Transition Qiaoling Liu;Eugene Agichtein;Yoelle Maarek;Gideon Dror;Idan Szpektor, SIGIR, 2012 [view abstract]
- Learning from the past: answering new questions with past answers Anna Shtok;Gideon Dror;Yoelle Maarek;Idan Szpektor, WWW, 2012 [view abstract]
- Churn prediction in new users of Yahoo! answers Gideon Dror;Dan Pelleg;Oleg Rokhlenko;Idan Szpektor, CQA'12 Workshop, 2012 [view abstract]
- I Want to Answer, Who Has a Question? Yahoo! Answers Recommender System Gideon Dror; Yehuda Koren; Yoelle Maarek; Idan Szpektor, KDD 2011: 17th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, ACM, 2011 [view abstract]
- Yahoo! Music Recommendations: Modeling Music Ratings with Temporal Dynamics and Item Taxonomy Gideon Dror; Noam Koenigstein; Yehuda Koren, ACM Recommender Systems 2011 (RecSys'11), ACM, 2011 [view abstract]
- Predicting Web Search Satisfaction with Existing Community-based Answers Qiaoling Liu; Eugene Agichtein; Gideon Dror; Evgeniy Gabrilovich; Yoelle Maarek; Dan Pelleg; Idan Szpektor, SIGIR'2011, ACM, 2011 [view abstract]
- Design and Analysis of the Unsupervised and Transfer Learning Challenge I. Guyon; D. Aha ;G. Dror;V. Lemaire; G. Taylor., IJCNN - International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 2011, 2011